because the recent figures posted here were quite confusing (especially the figures about tigers from the sunderbans) I like to summarize the figures of different bengal tiger populations from different countries to give an overview.
First there are not only 1,706 bengal tigers total. This is the population estimate of bengal tigers from India but bengal tigers are resident in Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh aswell.
Latest census in 2010. Method: Camera trap
- Population estimate: 1,706
- Lower estimate (LE): 1,520
- Upper estimate (UE): 1,909
- This figure contain the estimate of 70 (LE: 64, UE: 90) bengal tigers from the sunderbans. This figure is to low. Newer studies state "the minimim identified tiger count in the unique natural habitat stands at 103" (source: http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/energy-and-environment/royal-bengal-tiger-count-in-sunderbans-is-103/article4795730.ece).
Latest figures from 2013. Method: Camera trap
- Population estimate: 198
- LE: 163
- UE: 253
- The figures only contain adult tigers.
Latest estimate: 2010. Method: Camera trap
- Population estimate: 75
- LE: 67
- UE: 81
Latest estimate: 2004. Method: Pugmarks
- Population estimate: 440
- LE: ?
- UE: ?
- Figure contains adults and cubs.
- A newer servey from 2009 confirm this figure (source: http://www.globaltigerinitiative.org/download/St_Petersburg/Ishtiaq_Uddin_Ahmad.pdf)
- In 2012 the following was reported: "However, a study carried out by the Wildlife Trust of Bangladesh [this is the same source as the 2009 study] in 2012 said the number of tigers in the Sundarbans had come down by 69% since 2008 due to illegal poaching and trafficking.http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2013/jul/29/no-headway-tiger-conservation-pact
- A new census wild be done in 2013 using
camera traps (source:
Census on pugmark have turned out to be flawed (source: http://www.conservationindia.org/articles/why-the-pugmark-census-used-to-monitor-tiger-populations-failed).
- The figure of 440 is actually the most inaccurate. It is the oldest figure and if the estimate from 2012 turns out to be correct the actual figure is c.137 tigers!
- Basing on population estimate = 2,452 (including new figure of 103 indian sunderban tigers)
- Basing on lowest estimate = 1,887 (including the estimate for bangladesh sunderban tigers from 2012)
- Basing on highest estimate = 2,696 (including new figure of 103 indian sunderban tigers)
How many bengal tigers are located in the sunderbans?
The latest figure for the indian part from 2013 is 103 sunderban tigers. In Bangladesh most tigers are located in the sunderbans. If we use the figure of 2004 (440) and add them with the indian part there would be 543 tigers total in the sunderbans. Like suggested the actual numbers of tigers in Bangladesh could be as low as c.137 tigers. Then the figure would be 240 sunderban tigers total. I guess we should wait for the new census in 2013 to conclude which figure is more accurate. However if we take the figure of 543 tigers as UE and the figure of 240 tigers as LE and compare it with the overall LE and UE of all bengal tigers these are the procentual values.
Sunderban tigers (% of bengal tigers).
- LE: 12,7 %
- UE: 20,1 %